Thursday, January 3, 2013

Salsa Chicken





Background
I found a good sale on tomatoes in the grocery store, so brought a bunch home.  I never know what I'm going to do with them when I find them, but given the tomato consumption rate in this house, I never worry they'll go unused.  So, I decided to make salsa.  The first night, it accompanied fajitas, but even with second-trimester hunger on my side, we had a bunch left over.  The next night, I longed for something more hearty and eyed the chicken breasts and potatoes I had awaiting my culinary spin.  Sure, let's toss it all together, I thought.  Lo and behold: an easy, yummy, filling dish that I would deem good year-round!

Ingredients
2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
1 lb. potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
1 - 1.5 C. homemade salsa (recipe below - can be made ahead of time)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
This will be short and sweet, folks!

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Wash chicken breasts and pat dry with a paper towel.  Place skin-up in a 9x13" baking dish.  Place diced potatoes evenly around chicken.  Spoon salsa over potatoes and a bit of the juice over the chicken.  Sprinkle top of chicken with salt and pepper.



Bake, uncovered for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear; the skin of the chicken should have a lovely golden-brown color.



Salsa Recipe
2 C. finely diced tomato
1/2 - 3/4 C. finely diced onion
1 finely diced pepper, serrano or jalapeno - depending on heat preference (optional)
1 heaping t. minced garlic
juice from 1 lemon or lime
olive oil
salt and pepper

The quantities I specify are subjective and anything that does not have a quantity (olive oil, salt and pepper) really should be added to taste.  If you really like onion, add more; if not, add less.  If you love a super spicy salsa, omit the serrano and jalapeno and go full-on habanero!  Honestly, I do the whole thing by sight and taste.

Please also remember that as your salsa sits, the flavors will come out more.  I made a salsa once with a good friend early in the day.  When we tasted, we felt very little heat, so added more pepper.  By the time we ate that night, our eyes were watering.  Lesson learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment